In order to protect patient records, all offices should have a formal record retention policy in place.
This policy should include:
- The length of time the records will remain before destruction
- A list of records that are maintained (whether onsite or offsite)
- A designated person to maintain record retention and destruction policies
- A set method of destruction which preserves patient confidentiality
- Proper destruction and documentation of destruction
CMS requires providers to retain records for 10 years.
Please see the article below from MedPro Group for more information:
Contact Us today for more information!